A trip to Bono is not only about surfing !
Every day, Bono riding will happen during 4 to 5 hours, from 9-10am to 2-4pm. Accordingly, there will be little time for other activities.
However, here are a handful of ideas (* 1€ is about 12000 IDR Indonesia Rupiahs) :
- Rent a Stand-up (30,000 Rps* per hour) and paddle alongside the village
- Rent a motorbike (20,000 Rps* per hour) and explore the area
- Taste a swallow's nest soup (chinese delicacy) : 120,000 Rps* / soup !!!
- Fish from the cement jetty (bring your own gear)
- Visit the schools with Unas, our teacher friend
- Get a local massage...
National Wildlife Reserves
The Kerumutan Wildlife Reserve (120,000 ha) lies immediately south of the Kampar river. The reserve consists of extensive, relatively undisturbed peatswamp forest with a small area of dry land forest but it requires special guides and transport to be able to watch the wildlife.
If you're after wildlife, best is spend a day from Pekanbaru to drive 4 hours to Tesso Nilo Reserve (213,000 ha), approved by WWF, where you can clealy see elephants (60-80 live there) & local species. However, there is no tourist structure to visit the Park, we would ask River Difender guys to see how rangers could set up some visit.